Saturday, May 7, 2011

10 Random Facts about Me


I'm feeling just plain happy today---content with life, with who I am, with how things are.  Isn't that a great place to be?  I thought about a whole range of blog topics, but instead decided to be a bit random.
For no particular reason, I'm going to post 10  facts about myself, which you may or may not find interesting.  I will probably continue to do this once in awhile.  Nothing terribly shocking this time around---just going for "FYI", here.  Okay,  here goes:

1.  I have a legitimate Chinese driver's license.  That's right.  I didn't cheat, didn't bribe anyone, and didn't work the system (most foreigners in China do the aforementioned and I can't blame them.  I just happen to have a perpetually honest husband who wouldn't let me cheat.)  I studied, I took the test, and I passed (well, the truth is---first I failed 5 times, and then I passed).

2.  I studied Burmese in college, did two anthropological field schools in Mexico, and had  planned to be an anthropologist, traveling the world writing ethnographies. 

3.  I'm addicted to diet coke.

4.  I once spoke at Brigham Young University's Women's Conference, on the topic of rising about life's ruts.  It was a good talk, and was an excellent experience.

5.  My favorite place in the world is Nauvoo, Illinois.  A beautiful beach is also at the top of the list.

6.  I really like the show "Modern Family".  I didn't at first, but I do now.

7.  From time to time, I think about pursuing a PhD.  In what, you ask?  Lots of possibilities!!

8.  I like writing.  I appreciate good writing.  I'm a fairly decent writer.  I have a lot of stories to tell.  What I don't have is discipline to sit down and do it.  This is kind of a mystery to me.

9.  My first concert was Bon Jovi.  Ninth grade.  The next one was Bobbi McFerrin, 10th grade.  How very, terribly wierd is that?

10.  I will never, ever forget the first time I saw William.  Sigh:)

Like I said, nothing earth-shattering here---just 10 random facts about this Mormon Mom in China.  Have a wonderful day!




We had such a fantastic time on our recent trip to Utah.  Our kids have grown up in sub-tropical Guangzhou, so the concept of autumn w...