Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Stop It!!!!

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/the-merciful-obtain-mercy?lang=eng

Stop It!

Pretty profound words.  This is my new mantra when I'm tempted to judge, envy, justify, complain, or withhold forgiveness.  Stop It!

My church holds a general conference twice a year, and the link above is to a talk given at this conference last week.  I encourage you to read it.  It doesn't matter if you are religious or not, spiritual or not---if you are human, you will benefit from reading this article.  I promise.

I have had several key experiences lately---sad ones, ones that I'm not going to share on this blog.  As painful as they have been, they have given the chance to learn and re-learn humility, forgiveness, and a host of other things that have been, and will be, for my benefit.  I think those around me, particularly those whom I love, will benefit from what I've learned as well.

We are only in control up to a point---at least that's what I believe.  We need to do the very best we can with the circumstances given to us and we need to try, as best we can, to learn from all those plans that don't work out the way we'd hoped.  Every tear we shed can be therapeutic and purposeful and every experience we have can teach us something. 

So, when you are tempted to complain, judge, justify, or withhold forgiveness....STOP IT!!  Forgive, heal, and move on.

One of my favorite quotes, other than "Stop It!", from this article is this:  "Don't judge me just because I sin differently than you do."  It reminded me that everyone has a lot going on, and there is always more to a situation than we can understand by casual observation.  We all need to give others the benefit of the doubt, trust, and hold on to peace.

That's what I've been thinking lately. 

We had such a fantastic time on our recent trip to Utah.  Our kids have grown up in sub-tropical Guangzhou, so the concept of autumn w...