Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

As a "Mormon Mom in China", I have a great deal to be thankful for.   I'm grateful for my spiritual beliefs, for my family, and for the chance to live in China (hence the name of my blog).  I am grateful for good friends, wonderful extended family, a great job, a good community, and about a million other things.  I'm grateful for the connections among people that come as a result of things like blogs, facebook, and email, and I appreciate the way these things keep friendships strong.  I'm particularly grateful for the Holiday season we have just enjoyed, and for a very special family event that took place on Christmas Eve.


In Mormonism, children are baptized and confirmed at the age of eight. On Christmas Eve, 2011, our son took that very important step and was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. For people of our faith, this is a very sacred experience---one that makes us feel closer to God and renews our sense of what is truly important in life. I am extremely grateful that our son, Abraham, took this important step, and that we were able to hold this special occasion on Christmas Eve.  It is a Christmas Eve I will never forget.

In other---and much more ordinary--- news, I must confess that I still don't know what I'm doing with this blog:) I have another blog (http://theqiansinchina.blogspot.com/), which is password protected.  That's the blog that family and close friends check, and includes all that our family is up to (basically the kind you'd be bored with if you didn't really, really love us).  This blog, however,  is supposed to be the more "general" blog about "life".  But really, my family is my life, so I find that I don't have as much to say on this one:)   Not an earth-shattering dilemna, but I thought I would share it with you, in case you are wondering why I haven't updated this blog in awhile.  Anyway, I'll figure it out.  I love my title too much to give up this blog!

I wish anyone who reads this a peaceful 2012.  Happy New Year! 

We had such a fantastic time on our recent trip to Utah.  Our kids have grown up in sub-tropical Guangzhou, so the concept of autumn w...