Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hobbies, Hobbies, Hobbies

I never think of myself as having hobbies.  I'm not particularly crafty.  I'm not a fabulous baker.  I don't enjoy jewelry making and other activities that many of my good friends seem to love.  However, it occurred to me this past week-end, as I sat very late into the night happily working on a certain project that had no particular relevance, that I do, indeed, have a hobby.  What I love to do is arrange pictures of my family into various media, namely, blurb books and i-movies.  Who knew?

So, the blurb book thing is just, plain fun.  Basically, I download my entire family blog (a year at a time) into this booksmart software.  I can edit it, add other photos, arrange it however I want, add text, and then it gets made into a hard-cover book.  My kids love looking through these, as does my husband.  Friends are always really fond of them as well, especially when I tell them how easy they are to make.  I've made three of them so far and am almost finished with the fourth.  It's really, really fun and is a great way to record and re-live important family events!

The other thing I've recently discovered is i-movie (yes, I know, I'm way behind the times!).  There are templates on i-movie which make it incredibly easy for someone who is not super tech-savvy to still make a great photo movie.  I just drag the photos in, put it to great music, and Voila!  I recently made an i-movie of some of our favorite  vacation memories, but you could make it for anything or anyone. I love how powerful the pictures become when set to just the right music.  The one I made of our kids is set to a combo of "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns n' Roses and "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley.  Gotta love that!

I've realized that the key to a hobby is that it's low-stress.  A hobby actually relaxes you, gives something back to you, and is 100% fun in the process.  Yes, I have other "projects" I'm working on, but I can't say that those are purely relaxing or fun---there are expectations associated with them. A hobby is just something there---ready to be worked on whenever you feel like it, and no hard feelings or guilt when you need to leave it alone for awhile.  I was glad to discover this basic fact:  Hobbies are good, and everyone should have one:)

How do you define a hobby, and what are some of yours?

We had such a fantastic time on our recent trip to Utah.  Our kids have grown up in sub-tropical Guangzhou, so the concept of autumn w...